- Analysis of the key issues and data on health related absence
- The development of effective working relationships between GPs and schools
- LA support and the provision of tuition
- Supporting children with complex medical needs in schools or education settings
- Authorising absence and statutory solutions
- A focus on children's mental health and impact on education
- The role of a school nurse
Jane Cole : Hospital Education Manager : Hampshire County Council
Good practice for schools and LA in supporting pupils with medical needs
President - TONY WALLER Somerset
Presidential Address 23rd May 2018
- Throughout history, more workplaces have failed due to poor leadership & management than the state of the economy
- Distinctive leadership is one that allows an environment where people are willing & able to generate ideas, solve problems & make things happen
Our work & life is influenced by those people we have met, worked & socialised with. Glenn & I worked together on a summer camp in North Carolina in the 80’s & is my mate. I visit him, electronically, most days as I find his positive thoughts empowering – look him up.
I was pushed into joining the AEWM by a previous manager who was also an ex-president, some 15 years ago. Got to say ‘what a ride and what a learning curve’. I would not be where I am today without AEWM. So get on and ride with me, our 101st year
So what do I think?
“Children are the world's most valuable resource and its best hope for the future.” JFKennedy
Cannot argue with this just ask each of us to remember it as without children none of us have a job or future!
I was made redundant from my first job by one Margaret Thatcher. I was milk monitor at Flora Gardens Primary School when she became the milk snatcher.
I was a persistent absentee from my first secondary school Holland Park Comprehensive. Moved to St.Marylebone Grammar School in what is now year 8 and loved the change.
Now I am here.
- To ensure the EWS, in whatever form, LA or independent, puts children first,
- To have more SEWO types become involved with the NEC,
- To continue to help DfE address school attendance issues & safeguarding in education issues,
- To continue to work with NASWE, AEHEP, NNCEE & associated groups in ensuring points above
The beginning is the most important part of the work – Plato
I am not afraid of death; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen.
I am humbled to accept this role of President of AEWM & will do all that I am able, to stay true to our values and help those that need us.
AEWM President 2018 to 2019
Dates for the diary:
17th October 2018 - Annual Training Conference open to non members
Addressing the 55% Absence Illness Code
22nd May 2019 - Members only Conference
Both events will be held at the Arden Hotel, Bickenhill, Solihull.